What to do in an Emergency?

If you have a burst pipe, a faulty gas boiler or if your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, and you need an emergency call out in Exeter, contact Gaslec Ltd. for a reliable and speedy service. Our engineers are based in Exeter, Topsham, Lympstone, Honiton, Crediton, Exmouth, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Sidmouth, Budleigh Salterton, Woodbury, Torquay, Paignton, and Newton Abbot. Our team of fully qualified engineers will quickly put things right and keep you and your home safe. If you need an emergency call out in Exeter, acting quickly is key to minimising damage, so the following emergency advice is vital to keep you and your family safe.

What to do if you can smell gas

If you can smell gas, it is vital that you follow the following steps:

  • Open all windows and doors to ventilate the area as much as possible.
  • Go to your gas meter and turn off the emergency valve which will switch off all the pipework and appliances in your property.
  • Extinguish any naked flames, such as candles.
  • Do not turn on any electrical switches – this could cause a fire by igniting any escaped gas.
  • Report the problem by calling the National Gas Emergency number – 0800 111 999 (If you have hearing loss, you could use a textphone (Minicom) on 0800 371 787).
  • Call GASLEC Ltd. and ask for a Gas Safe engineer to fix the fault.

What to do if you have burst pipes in Exeter

If you suspect burst pipes in Exeter, this is what you need to do:

  • Collect water from the leak by using a bucket or bowl.
  • If the burst pipe is in the ceiling (you will notice the bulge) use a broom handle to pierce the ceiling and let the water flow through.
  • Turn off your central heating.
  • Switch your electricity off at the mains, first turning off any appliances including those that are on stand-by. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
  • Call Gaslec Ltd. and request the services of a plumber.
  • After the leak has been fixed, air your property by keeping doors and windows open during the day for a while.

What to do if your carbon monoxide alarm goes off

Don’t panic but act quickly. Carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous.

  • Turn off all appliances.
  • Open all doors and windows to ventilate your home and evacuate your property.
  • Do not smoke in the property and turn off any naked flames.
  • Call 999 if you are feeling unwell – symptoms that indicate carbon monoxide poisoning are nausea, headaches and dizziness. If someone in your home is seriously ill or even unconscious, it is vital to remove them from the property, into the fresh air and to receive pure oxygen as soon as possible. Anyone affected by exposure to carbon monoxide in Exeter or the surrounding areas should avoid exerting themselves and rest until treated by a medical professional.
  • Report the problem of carbon monoxide in Exeter to the Gas Emergency Service.
  • Call Gaslec Ltd. and get a qualified engineer to check your appliances.